Monday, November 23, 2009

first summer harvest


cos lettuce in flower



My vege patch was looking a little under the weather today, so after over a month of not watering it, I caved in this evening.  Yesterday was supremely hot and a few of my plants look dead. Our vege patch has been a very consuming project over the past two years.  Charlie has built a huge cage to protect the plants from the alpha male bush (brush) turkey who has made his mound in our neighbour's yard.  This is his third nesting season with us and we find ourselves extending garden protection defences every year to guard our precious plants from his obsessive raking of leaves and mulch and digging for sweet roots and worms.  I spotted a baby turkey in our garden last week and I hope this means papa turkey will stop this season's raking soon.


The grass is growing high against the chicken wire enclosure and it's going to seed, making the garden look really quite messy.  I'm not looking forward to the grass weeding, but I have to get into it soon. The diversity of edible plants, my ad-hoc version of companion planting, is working though and my veges are thriving. Zucchinis, cucumbers, pumpkins, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, parsley, rocket and bok choy have all re-seeded from last year's crops.  This spring I harvested my very first purple artichokes, baby carrots and spanish onions!  I have corn on the way and my leeks are getting really big! This morning River and I ate about 10 strawberries and the blueberries are starting to fruit too.



french purple artichoke flowering like an edible waratah


the heat has woken our resident diamond python



mother duck and ducklings waiting for their breakfast




No comments:

Post a Comment